" In and Around The Adirondack Park"

           Adirondack's Interactive Internet Newsmagazine   ... stories, essays, articles ... direct from Adirondackers

 

Tour the Park

Articles

Conceirge Ctr.

History

Tall Tales

Essays

Submissions

          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Welcome to Whallonsburgh, NY_____

       

Next in size to Essex, though last in the date of its existence as a village, is Whallonsburgh. R. A. Ferguson, who came to the place in 1870 with his father, John Ferguson, describes it as being then an unbroken forest.  His father, a carpenter, struck the first blow to clear the land and build the first dwellings and factories of the new settlement.  He came from Washington county, N. Y., in the service of Reuben Whallon, who had come from the same vicinity about two years before.

Mr. Ferguson built a saw-mill, just in the rear of the present site of William F. Blinn's store, and a clothing factory near where the sash factory now is.  The place grew very gradually; lumbering constituted the principal business of the inhabitants. A. Hale soon built a grist-mill on the hill in the western part of the village, and was soon followed by William Smith and James S. Whallon, who erected a grist-mill which now forms the west end of the sash factory.  Smith & Whallon, not being contented with their milling profits, built a plaster factory adjoining the grist-mill.  This business throve mightily, teams frequently coming from Vermont for loads of plaster.  In 1840 ,a fine forge existed here, built by the proprietor, James S. Whallon.  The clothing works and one grist-mill were still running.  William Smith, probably the first postmaster, had received his appointment prior to 1825.  James S. Whallon followed Smith, Lewis Cady followed Whallon, and in about 1860 Eli W. Rogers followed Cady.  Mr. Rogers has officiated uninterruptedly from that time to the present.  The industries now active in the village may be briefly noticed as follows: In 1881 Edgar Chamberlain and Eugene, his brother, succeeded William H. Richardson in the manufacture of blinds and sashes.  The business originated in 1869, Samuel Root, William H. Richardson and V. C. Spencer being the first proprietors. In 1872 Messrs. Root and Spencer withdrew. James S. Whallon built the mill which was formerly used as a carding-mill.  The Chamberlain Brothers lease the premises of Samuel Root.  They keep about fifteen hands busy and can turn out about seventy doors in a day, and have made as many as 1,500 pairs of blinds in a month.

The grist-mill now running, in Whallonsburgh was built about 1830 by James S. Whallon, soon after the former mill of Smith & Whallon had been damaged beyond repair by a freshet. Jonathan Mather, the present owner, has held the title for a great many years. John R. Mather superintends the running of the mill.

F. J. Avery has been a general merchant here since 1870. He established the business himself. William F. Blinn started a store here in April, 1885. John R. Mather is proprietor of a cabinet shop, and G. J. & J. G. Waiker run an extensive hay barn.

The village boasts a Union Church, which was organized not far from 1830. The present edifice was erected before 1840, James S. Whallon contributing most generously towards its construction. The Presbyterian and Methodist clergymen at Essex preached here. Rev. Joel Fisk first officiated, and Rev. Joseph T. Willet preached here for about thirteen years. They organized a Sabbath-school almost at the beginning.

Reference:  http://history.rays-place.com/index.htm


    

 

| Home Page |   Tour the ParkArticles |   Concierge  |  History Tall TalesBulletin | Advertise with us | E-mail |