Edinburgh is one of the towns of the western tier. It is
bounded on the north by Day, on the east by Day, Corinth and Greenfield, on the
south by Providence, and on the west by the county line. The Revised Statutes
define the town as follows:
The town of Edinburgh shall contain all that part of
said county bounded southerly by Providence, westerly by the bounds of the
county, northerly by Day and easterly by Corinth.
The town consists of hilly highlands, through the
center of which the Sacandaga River runs from the southwest corner in a
northeasterly direction. The principal tributaries of this river in Edinburgh
are Batcheller Creek and Beecher's Creek.
The first settlements were not made until after the
close of the Revolution. In 1787 Abijah Stark, a nephew of Gen. John Stark, the
hero of Bennington, settled on the west side of the Sacandaga River about a mile
from the Providence line. Soon after Jonathan Anderson, Nathaniel Bass, Sylvanus
Westcot and Samuel Randall settled in the same neighborhood. James and Amy
Partridge settled on the hill on the opposite side of the river in 1795. Isaac
Deming located about this time in the eastern part, near the Day line. John
Sumner built the first saw mill in the town, about 1800, at Batchellerville.
Isaac Deming built the first grist mill and store.
There are but two hamlets in Edinburgh. The most
important is Batchellerville, located east of the Sacandaga near the centere of
the town. Across the river lies Edinburgh, more commonly known as Beecher's
Hollow. Both were formerly villages of considerable importance, but their
industries are now small. The churches are: Presbyterian church of
Batchellerville, organized in 1808; Edinburgh Hill M. E. church, 1823-1824; M.
E. church of Beecher's Hollow, 1820 to 1825.
The town of Edinburgh was erected from Providence March
13, 1801, as Northfield. The name was changed to Edinburgh April 6, 1808. The
western part of Day was taken off in 1819. At the first town meeting, held in