" In and Around The Adirondack Park"

           Adirondack's Interactive Internet Newsmagazine   ... stories, essays, articles ... direct from Adirondackers

 

Tour the Park

Articles

Conceirge Ctr.

History

Tall Tales

Essays

Submissions

          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
Welcome to Ausable, NY___________________

 

AUSABLE, pronounced “Aw Saw-ble”, a French name signifying river of sand, was taken from Peru, March 29, 1839.  It is the southeast corner town in the County.  Its surface is nearly level in the east, rolling in the center and hilly in the west. The Au Sable forms nearly the whole of the South boundary, the Little Sable River flows northeasterly through the west part. Its soil is generally a light sandy loam, fertile in the east and center, but poor for agricultural purposes in the west.  Upon the Au Sable, where it breaks through the Potsdam Sandstone, is a beautiful cascade, known as Birmingham Falls. This cascade is located about two miles below Keeseville, and the romantic and picturesque scenery will well repay the tourist for the trip to see them.  Iron ore of an excellent quality is to be found.  The principal ore bed now worked is that of Messrs. Arnold & Co., which yields from 1,000 to 1,500 tons annually.  Keeseville, named from Oliver and Richard Keese, Sons of John Keese, one of the original proprietors upon the Au Sable, five miles from the Lake, contains seven churches, the Keeseville Academy, two extensive rolling mills, three nail factories, a machine shop, an ax and edge tool factory, a cupola furnace, a horseshoe factory, a mill, two grist mills, and a nail keg factory.

Clintonville, upon the Au Sable, in the west part of the town, was incorporated April 11, 1 1825. The Iron Works located here manufacture over 7,000 tons of iron annually.

New Sweden, further up the Au sable, in the southwest corner of the town, contains two forges.  Birmingham Falls, at the head of the rapids, upon Au Sable River is a hamlet. The Union is a hamlet on the line of Peru, and contains two Quaker meeting houses. The first settlers were John Keese and others, about 1795. Edward Everett had located upon the site of the Union in 1786. The town has an area of 22,476 acres.

 Referenced by:  Http://historyrays_place.com

 

| Home Page |   Tour the ParkArticles |   Concierge  |  History Tall TalesBulletin | Advertise with us | E-mail |